Ants are social insects that live in more or less permanent nests. Colony sizes vary enormously and are mostly located in soil, wood and among rocks. The main enemy of the ants are termites. Ants often regarded as “nuisance” pests in around buildings. They may also present a health risk. There are known cases where ants were mechanically carrying disease organisms causing dysentery, smallpox & variety of pathogenic bacteria, including Salmonella.
If a 175 pound human had the comparative strength of an ant he could lift almost 9000 pounds
- There are about 9000 species of birds identified throughout the world where as Ants are almost that many species – currently about 8800
- The largest ants in the world are the Driver Ants in Africa.
- Some workers ants reach almost one and a half inches long
- In contrast, the smallest ant species is from India
- The workers are only 1/30th of an inch long